Immunology is one of the fastest expanding fields in the life sciences, as the immune system’s fundamental role in modulating almost all aspects of health and disease is more fully understood. The immune system is also increasingly being harnessed as a therapeutic modality; as our understanding of the immune system develops, so too do new therapeutic opportunities.
Flow cytometry is one the most important analytical tools at the disposal of immunologists to study the intricacies of the immune system. Synexa provides a comprehensive suite of flow cytometry capabilities and services to help navigate this field, including:
- Advice and insight in the design of panels and gating strategies to robustly study specific immune cell populations.
- Pre-analytical approaches to stabilize clinical samples.
- Assessment and selection of the optimum antibody clones in the context of epitope conformational changes associated with cell stabilization.
- In-house antibody labelling and QC.
- Development and supply of external quality assurance reagents (e.g. LymphoSure) for use in assay production.
- Accessing relevant clinical samples for use in assay development and validation.
- Processing of clinical samples.
- Data analysis and result interpretation, using FlowJo software for multi-parameter flow data.
Our expertise in flow cytometry covers a broad range of applications including:
- Detailed immunophenotyping of circulating immune subsets.
- Immune activation to recall antigens following long-term ex vivo culture.
- Immune infiltration into tumours following dissociation.
- Receptor Occupancy assays.
- Cell proliferation using markers such as Ki67 and CFSE.
- Intracytoplasmic cytokine production.
- MHCI and MHCII Tetramer staining.
- Functional Granulocyte assays such as Basophil Degranulation and Neutrophil Respiratory Burst.
- ADCC and CDC assays.
- Reticulocyte counts and complement binding to erythrocytes.
- Circulating CD34 hematopoietic stem cell counts.
- CD8 expression of CD107a and production of Perforin and Granzyme B.
Synexa has worked closely with Becton Dickinson for many years, and has standardised technical platforms globally around 8 and 10-colour BD FACS Canto II instruments.